To Save Yesterday...Destroy Tomorrow (One Shot)

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

To Save Yesterday...Destroy Tomorrow (One Shot)

Post by Mir »

Earth-964

Out in the dusty salt flats of Utah, Isaiah Muir and Torrin MacQuillen were preparing the final stand against Darkseid. But while Darkseid had attacked and had conquered much of the world, it didn’t mean he was the only would be destroyer of the earth, and it didn’t mean he was the only one trying at that same point in time. He was not alone. There was another. A man who had posed extreme danger to the MacQuillen family and particularly to Amanda West in the past. However there was another man who had been working against this one, and he stood now in a room filled with scientific equipment, looking at the monitors in front of him, and working on calculations in his head.

“Are you sure that this will work?” He asked.

The only other person in the room with him, a woman, nodded. “It should. It should be able to send us back in time to stop what is happening.” She said and then she paused. What about Darks-“

“The king of Apokolips is a smaller concern to me. If there is anyone who can stop him, successfully, its that last member of the reformed Justice League, waiting in Utah with the Odin Gun.” The man replied. “I worry more about the one we are trying to stop.” He said. “When should everything be ready?” He asked.

“Soon.” She replied. “I’m just making sure that we’re not going to be dumped in the wrong time.”

“Good.” He said, walking over to a piece of technology that dominated the room. “You have no idea what it took for me to get my hands on one of these.” He said.

She frowned, looking over at him. “Of course I do. I was there when we stole it.” She said, a look of concern on her face.

“Right, right.” He replied, nodding. “The years have not been that kind to my memory.” He said. “You were there, I remember now. We’ve been working on this for so long.” He said, sitting down on one of the tables.

“We have.” She said, agreeing with him. Walking over to him, she ran a hand through his hair, which was graying at the temples. “Hopefully all of the sacrifices we’ve had to make over the years won’t be in vain. We’ve lost so many people in this fight.”

“I doubt they will be.” He said. “Once we activate the treadmill, our enemy will be able to locate us. The self-destruct device should be charged by now. It can stop him and that whelp that he has with him.” He stated, walking over to one of the computers and pulling up the information. “Good, it is.” He said, and then looked over at the Cosmic Treadmill that was in the center of the room. “I still can’t believe that he built another one of these. The inherent danger of these are tremendous.”

“Luckily, it requires certain things in order to work. It does remove a lot of the potential for misuse from it.”

Another one of the computers chose that moment to start making noise and the woman checked the monitor. “Everything seems to be ready. The calculations are complete and everything is in place. We just need the power source.” She said, looking over at a crate in one of the corners of the room. “Acquiring that piece was difficult just by itself.”

“The power source? That won’t be a problem.” He said and reached out, grabbing her hand.

“What are you…what are you doing?” She asked.

“Finding a power source.” He said, putting her hand on the Cosmic Treadmill. “I made some modifications to the original design.”

A clasp came out, trapping her on the treadmill. He moved her, forcibly, onto the treadmill, and then activated the other clasp on the treadmill. Strangely, she hadn’t been fast enough to stop his movements. “As you know the treadmill requires a lot of juice, like the miniaturized Super Arc Reactor in the corner…or a speedster.” He said, pressing a button on the treadmill. “This will reroute your output into the travel machine, teleporting me where I need to go. Unfortunately, due to the modifications, there is no way for the treadmill to stop once it starts, which means, it will consume your very essence. I think you’ll understand.”

“Why are you doing this?” She asked, as the clasps injected some kind of substance into her body.

“It’s easier this way.” He said. “You agreed to help me to fight our common foe, but you didn’t understand why I was fighting him.” He said. “Unfortunately, you’re not going to be able to find out.” He added, walking over to a computer and starting the self-destruct sequence. “With any luck, the bombs underneath this place will get him as he gets here. But either way, there won’t be any trace of what happened here.” He said. “Like you said, we’ve made so many sacrifices in this fight. They won’t be in vain.”

She watched as he entered the chamber. Their eyes met one last time.

“Don’t do this.” She said.

“There’s this phrase that I remember someone saying to me. Seems so relevant.” He said as he sat down. He looked away, trying to remember, as the whine of the machines started to increase. Just before the noise was too much, just before it reached a fever pitched and drowned him, out, he smiled. “To save yesterday, destroy tomorrow."

He sat down, content to wait for the inevitable.

He was going to San Francisco.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In another part of the world, there were two men sitting in a room. They had been silent for some time, but now, one of them spoke. “You felt that?” He asked, and the other nodded. “Our old foe is trying something. Do you remember what happened next?”

“Yes. And no. It’s been many years, the rampancy has affected my memories.” The other said. “I….I can’t remember.” He said, rising from where he was sitting. He had been going over reports from the various territories he controlled. As he stepped forward, it seemed as though electricity crackled around his feet. His eyes were a bright yellow, almost unnaturally so.

“We have to stop him.” The younger man said. “We have to.”

“But he has something that we don’t. He stole it from me.” The older man said, clenching his fists. Electricity seemingly appeared around his hands, bouncing around the room, scorching the walls before returning to his body. “He stole it.”

“I know, I know.” The younger man said, reaching out and placing a hand on the man’s shoulder. His hand started to burn, marks appearing, as the heat and the energy burned through his skin. Lifting his hand, he looked at it, as he seemingly healed himself, the skin regenerating as he looked at it. “So what can we do?”

“I…I know of a way that we can go back.” The older man said, but he looked at the younger, taller man, with forlorn eyes. “But only one of us can make the journey.” He said. “I can’t control the energies for long enough.”

“But you’ve barely been able to tell me anything.”

“Maybe it is better that way.” The older man said. He looked at the young man, maybe in his late teens. “It is up to you to make things right.” He said, as the electricity started to crackle around his hands once more, this time of a more purple hue. The tendrils started to swirl around him, expanding, though it didn’t harm the teenager. “It is up to you to make things right.” He said, repeating himself.

“How will I know what to do?” The younger man asked, his voice barely above a whisper now. “What did she look like? What was she like? What was her name?” He asked, his eyes widening as he realized what was going to happen. “You have to give me something. How will I know?”

“You will know. You…will know.” The man said, and their eyes locked together, seemingly for the last time. “To save yesterday, destroy tomorrow."

The younger man committed the words to memory.